International Rights Advocates (IRAdvocates) builds and supports the capacity of women, human rights, labor, and legal organizations to develop and promote innovative legal strategies to hold multinational corporations accountable for labor, human rights, and environmental violations. IRAdvocates does so by supporting direct legal advocacy both in the U.S. and abroad, and by working with local partner organizations to develop and undertake precedent-setting legal actions in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. IRAdvocates believes that only when multinational
corporate actors are subject to meaningful and enforceable legal mechanisms both in the country where the violation occurs and abroad can individual human rights be fully realized.
- Research legal issues particular to multinational corporate accountability litigation, including specifically the Alien Tort Statute (ATS), the Torture Victims Protection Act (TVPA), and state law claims.
- Draft legal memoranda concerning relevant issues in pending cases.
- Conduct factual research to assist in filing complaints against multinational corporations and further case development.
- Assist in preparations for conducting and defending depositions. – Other tasks as necessary to further IRAdvocates’ mission and goal in holding multinational corporations accountable for international human rights abuses.
ONLY J.D. candidates may apply for this position (2L and above).
- Posses a strong interest in using the law as a vehicle for social change – Experience or course work relating to the research of jurisdictional, tort, corporate and international law issues
- Some study or experience with human rights law
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
This is an unpaid position. However, IRAdvocates can facilitate externship credit if this is available through the intern’s law school. Interns or volunteers can also work virtually or remotely, depending on the needs of IRAdvocates.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maggie C. Crosby
1156 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005